Some weeks are busier than others and we can find ourselves at a loss on any given day with when we will get our training/practice in, let alone what to eat assist our work in the gym.
Pre-Post workout nutrition may be non-existent for some, or it can be dialed in and specifically tailored for others. Intuition and paying close attention to how any given food effects my practice and recovery makes a difference to me and I can definitely see a difference in my students. As important as a consistent practice is for overall fitness, what we consume will either support or sabotage the physical exertion that occurs with each session.
Today I thought I’d share just a few of my favorite quick pre-post meals with you. Depending on what kind of program I am on will determine the hunger level. However, I typically have to remind myself to get those calories in within an hour, but that’s just me. We won’t get into macros today and these are suggestions based on what I have found works for me. Your mileage may vary.
1) Dale’s Raw Food bars are always on hand for me and I’ve yet to find a protein bar this clean (preservative free). http://www.dalesrawfoods.com/
2) ½ sweet potato w/cinnamon and 2 hard boiled eggs
If I’m home I’ll typically use my vitamix and grab a quick juice/smoothie with…
1) Whatever fresh vegetables I have and an apple/pear (all juiced) blended with a ½ avocado or a ½ banana.
2) ½ cup Greek yogurt blended with 1 cup frozen strawberries and ½ cup almond milk. Add 1 tbsp. coconut oil or almond butter if desired for creaminess.
3) Protein powder (I use whey factors or fit 365) with almond milk or water, ice , ½ banana. For a pick me up add ½ cup of black coffee.
4) Gluten Free (or not) oats w/a scoop of protein, chopped apple and cinnamon. These are my go to pre-post workout quick meal suggestions. Up next I will share some tried and true make ahead options for you.