For the 2018 Challenge, we’re adding Swings & Getups to your regular routing, a la Pavel’s Simple & Sinister.
I have a couple extra copies of the book at the gym you can pick up for $20 if you’d like to have one on hand. But I’m going to break down the routine for you here:
I’m making it even simpler than Pavel’s simple, because Pavel doesn’t really do simple =)
So our “Simple” version is for you to add this to any day you wouldn’t normally train:
- 100 Total Swings, any style (2-hand, one-hand, alternating), any weight
- 10 Total Getups, any weight, even no weight or a shoe
It’s really that simple. No time limit. Just go with how you feel.
*One stipulation: the swings should be powerful (not necessarily heavy), so when performing the 100 swings, do 10 powerful swings at a time, & shake out/rest as needed.
Our version of “Sinister” will be to hold yourself to the time constraints.
- 10 Single Arm Swings every 30-seconds for 5-minutes, switching arms each round
- rest 1 min
- 1 Get-up every minute for 10-minutes, switching arms each round
- Get heavier as it gets easier
A Couple Caveats:
- If you’re going for Sinister & you don’t feel awesome one day, do a Simple day
- no judgements
- no time
- something is better than nothing
- a light day when needed is better than pushing through a hard day when your body is saying NO!
- If you’re going for Sinister & you want to move up in weight, do so slowly
- move one round (each arm) of swings to the next heavier weight (preferably the 2nd or 3rd round)
- add more rounds at the heavier weight until all rounds are with the heavier weight
- same goes for Getup
- Getup & Swing weights DO NOT have to move up at the same time or at the same rate
Your Challenge will include:
- a calendar to track your training (because you know you need one for 2018!)
- measurements before, half way, & at the end
- reassessment & progress check half way
- FMS before & at the end
- a facebook message group for those doing the challenge
- guidance from me on how to progress/handle challenges you may face